Our significant others always support our addiction to BJJ. For the most part.
The listeners to The FightWorks Podcast are known far and wide as The Mighty 600,000. This week’s episode of our Brazilian jiu-jitsu radio show is about the significant others in our lives, like girlfriends or boyfriends, fiancees, and husbands or wives.
Depending on who you ask, BJJ is a hobby, passion, and / or lifestyle. Seventy-five percent of us train BJJ three or more times per week! As most of us don’t have the luxury of having significant others who train BJJ, this means jiu-jitsu takes away from our time with them.
So does this mean jiu-jitsu is hard on a relationship? Does it mean it’s bad for relationships? That is what we set out to determine this week on The FightWorks Podcast. We interviewed five partners of jiu-jitsu folks and asked them a few simple questions:
- Are you single or married?
- Did you know your significant other before he / she got into BJJ?
- What are the benefits of your significant other training BJJ?
- How is it different being in a relationship with a BJJ person?
- Is BJJ ever a strain on your relationship?
- Are you glad your significant other trains BJJ?
- Would you prefer that your significant other had a different hobby?
- Can you imagine your significant other without BJJ?
Note that we did not ask whether they thought their significant other would chose BJJ over their relationship! We may want to get to the bottom of things but we are not looking for trouble! 🙂