The spectators in attendance at the Brazilian jiu-jitsu world championshis today in Long Beach, California saw a ton of action as the world champions in the black belt divisions were determined. While I didn’t sweat as much as any of the competitors, it was a busy Mundials.
MMA personalities in attendance today included Alberto Crane, who lost last night in UFC action to Roger Huerta at UFC 74: Respect. Josh Barnett was there in support of the Japanese fighting contingent, as he was at the 2007 ADCCs in New Jersey. Demian Maia, who just signed a contract to fight in the UFC against Marvin Eastman was on hand as was grappling superstar Marcelo Garcia, who is supposed to be making his MMA debut soon.
I chronicled as many matches as my eyes would allow. Here are some of the details from some non-title matches which were fought today. I don’t know whether this makes interesting reading, but my hope is that it makes a decent reference for people.
Lucas Lepri (Alliance) beats Celso Vinicius by kneebar
Andre Galvao (Brasa) vs. Cassio Werneck Galvao takes out Werneck from the competition with a gi choke at 7:36 into the match.
Romulo “Rominho” Barral vs. Roger Alexander MonsalveBarral scores a flying triangle thirty eight seconds into the match and taps Monsalve for the win. This is almost never seen at this level of competition!
Brown belt women’s absolute division: ADCC champion Penny Thomas (Rickson Gracie) from South Africa defeats Christy Thomas (Relson Gracie) of Austin, Texas.
Saulo Ribeiro (Gracie Humaita) vs. Raphael abi-Rhahan (Carlson Gracie)
Saulo wins on points.
- Five and a half minutes into the match the score is still 0-0 as neither would permit a takedown attempt from the other and neither wanted to pull guard.
- Saulo scores a fireman’s carry takedown and is up 2-0.
- At 9:37 Saulo takes down abi-Rhahan again to make the score 4-0, which persists until the end of the match.
Flavio “Cachorrinho” Almeida (Gracie Barra) vs. Eduardo Telles (Carlos Valente)
Almeida wins 2-0 on points.
Xande Ribeiro (Gracie Humaita) vs. Roberto Godoi
- Xande wins by triangle.
- Godoi takes Xande down to begin the match with 2 points in his favor.
- Xande pulls full guard.
- At the 5 minute mark Xande locks in a very tight triangle choke and Godoi taps.
Adriano Camolesi vs. Roger Gracie (Gracie Barra)Gracie wins with a lapel choke.
- Roger gets 2 points for the takedown.
- Roger gets 4 more points for taking the mount, making the score 6-0 at the 2:00 mark.
- Roger takes Camolesi’s back at 3:06
- Camolesi taps to a gi choke with Roger on his back at 4:07 and the score being 10-0 in Roger’s favor.
Robert Drysdale (Brasa) vs. Paulo Ribeiro (Gracie Barra)
Drysdale taps Ribeiro with a gi choke after taking the back at 2:26 into the match. The four points he received are a moot point.
Saulo Ribeiro (Gracie Humaita) vs. Tarsys Humphries (Alliance)
Saulo Ribeiro ekes out the win by vantage points when time expired at 10:00. Most of this match was spent on the feet as neither wanted to give up the takedown.
- At 7:30 Tarsys was penalized for stalling when he and Saulo were locked up in a neutral position. As far as I know has no name. It is where both fighters have their legs wrapped around the other’s waist but instead of facing the opponent’s head, they face the tops of their opponent’s feet. The ref penalized Humphries, and stood the fighters back up.
- The position was maintained, neither Saulo nor Humphries changed their position, and Saulo was given 2 points as the ref again saw the impetus to move being on Humphries. The fighters are stood up.
- At 9:21 Humphries scored the takedown to even the score 2-2.
- At the 10:00 mark Saulo Ribeiro is awarded the win for his vantage points.
Rafael Lovato Jr., (Gracie Humaita) vs. Bruno Paulista (Gracie Barra)
Lovato wins 8-2 on points
- Lovato pulls guard early
- Lovato gets 2 points for the sweep at 3:01
- Paulista ties it up with two points of his own for a sweep at 3:48
- Now on bottom again, Lovato sweeps Paulista in return at 7:50, to make the score 4-2 in Lovato’s favor
At 8:04 Lovato takes the back, receiving 4 more points, where the match stays until time runs out.
Rafael Lovato Jr., (Gracie Humaita) vs. Rodrigo Cavaca (Brasa)
Lovato wins by keylock at 9:43
The length of this super heavyweight match does not accurately confer its one-sidedness. Lovato, who was coached by Xande Ribeiro pulled guard from the beginning and…
- got vantage points for a choke attempt at 1:28
- got vantage points for a omoplata attempt at 3:35
- got vantage points for a omoplata attempt at 7:01
- got 2 pts. for a sweep at 7:01
- got 3 pts. for a sidemount at 7:21
- got 2 pts. for knee in the belly at 8:12
- submitted his opponent at 9:28
Rodrigo Cavaca was not able to score any points or advantages during the match.
Xande Ribeiro (Gracie Humaita) vs. Flavio “Cachorrinho” Almeida (Gracie Barra)
Xande wins by points, 5-0 The majority of this match was spent on the feet.
- Xande got 2 ponts for the takedown (sorry, don’t have the time this occurred)
- At 6:54, Xande got 3 points for sidemount
- Xande received one vantage point at 8:28 for a takedown attempt
- Almeida received one vantage point at 9:28 for a takedown attempt
Roger Gracie (Gracie Barra) vs. Rodrigo Medeiros (Brasa)
Roger wins by submission.
- The match begins with Roger pulling guard.
- At the 5 minute mark, the score was still 0-0.
- At 6:49 Roger makes his move and sweeps for two points and continues to the mount for another four, making the score 6-0.
Like many of Roger’s opponents, Medeiros taps to a choke from the full mount. The choke comes at 7:33.
Luis “Big Mac’ Teodoro defeated Vinicius “Pezao” Magalhaes by points in the ultra heavyweight division.
More details on the way in the next posts, so stay tuned!