Keenan Cornelius (blue gi) back in his days as a purple belt.
Walter Pyramid at CSU Long Beach Plays Host
The International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation’s second BJJ Pro League wrapped up today at Cal State University Long Beach, with four competitors walking home $5,000 richer. In order to qualify for the event, the cumulative scores of male competitors’ IBJJF tournament activity throughout 2013 were considered. While there are usually ten IBJJF male weight classes for adults, these were contracted into four in this second annual event and each of these four groups contained four competitors.
The event marks the IBJJF’s second time in which its competitors were compensated for their efforts. The Federation’s maturation continues, as 2013 also saw the first testing for performance enhancing drugs among athletes, and a record-setting forty-six IBJJF events took place around the world, up from thirty-six in 2012.
Rooster / Light Feather / Feather
- Samir Chantre defeated Rafael “Barata” Freitas (Gracie Barra).
- Gabriel Moraes defeated Laercio Fernandes (Alliance).
- Gabriel Moraes defeated Samir Chantre on points and wins the gold medal and $5,000.
Light / Middle
- Victor Estima (Gracie Barra) defeated Oswaldo “Quexinho” Moizinho.
- Vitor Oliveira defeated Francisco Iturralde (Alliance).
- Victor Estima defeated Vitor Oliveira by reverse triangle, wins the gold medal and $5,000.
Middle Heavy / Heavy
- Jackson de Souza defeated Roberto “Tussa” Alencar.
- Keenan Cornelius (Atos) defeated Diego Gamonal.
- Keenan Cornelius defeated Jackson de Souza on points, wins the gold medal and $5,000.
Super Heavy / Ultra Heavy
- Marcio “Pe de Pano” Cruz defeated Ricardo Evangelista.
- Gustavo Pires defeated Eduardo Telles.
- Marcio Cruz defeated Gustavo Pires by armlock, wins the gold medal and $5,000.