BJJ Poll: When I Have a Dream That Involves BJJ…

by Caleb on October 8, 2011

Back to back Ross attack! Yes, the idea from our poll last week was sent in from the always curious and inquisitive member of the Mighty 600,000 Ross from Northern California, and the idea for this week’s poll does too! Just after the 2011 ADCC event wrapped up, he wrote us at the FightWorks Podcast headquarters saying, “This one came to me the other day after I woke up from dreaming about BJJ.” Maybe the ADCC submission grappling in Nottingham inspired him again!

Whatever the reason, you know what to do: let us know how or if you dream about Brazilian jiu-jitsu by voting in the poll above. If you have any especially interesting (or especially non-remarkable) jiu-jitsu dreams, let us know about those in the comments.

Thank you as always for voting and thanks to Ross for the great poll ideas!

slideyfoot October 9, 2011 at 5:30 am

I tend to choke people out a lot in my dreams. Although as they’re dreams, those people are often of the unkillable zombie variety, so choking doesn’t do much. Still, better than getting beaten up by various monsters/bad guys, I guess. ;)

Cameron October 9, 2011 at 8:07 am

I only voted “rarely or never dream about BJJ” because I rarely remember my dreams. On the few occasions I do remember dreaming about BJJ, I’m pretty sure I was winning – but it’s not vivid enough to be sure. During the day when I think about it, I’m usually imagining something good to do (submission, escape, etc). Never do I just fantasize about getting choked or broken.

Franck October 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I dreamt about Jits , but it wasn’t about winning or losing I think I was just rolling …

Tisha October 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

This dream was a few years back. If you remember the news story about the tiger that escaped from the San Fran zoo. The tiger killed a kid that had been taunting it. Well, my dream was that I was at the zoo with my kids (8 & 5 yrs at the time). We were near the enclosure when the tiger got out. I jumped on the tiger’s back and rear naked choked it so my kids could get to safety. My husband woke me up because I was thrashing around so much. He about fell out of bed laughing when I told him about my dream. :-)

Tisha October 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Tisha October 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Franck October 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

Am I dreaming? I think I read this story before … ;-)

Hawaiian October 12, 2011 at 3:36 am

Most of my BJJ dreams is reliving actuals in the gym and replaying different senarios. Best dreams though are where I tap guys who I never tap while rolling. You know the guy in the gym who always seems to have your number and no matter what you do you always tap. The guy who gets in your head, tapping him in your dream gives you the inspiration to keep trying.

Author_of _The_Lazy_Man's_Guide_to_Grappling October 17, 2011 at 7:56 am

Lose?

In my own dream?

I don’t think so…

Plus, if it even seemed that I was in trouble, I would just wake up like I do in my other dreams when it gets too heavy.

Jesse December 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm

When I dream about BJJ, I’m glad my girlfriend knows basic submission defenses.

RightDeve June 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I had these two dreams involving GJJ:

One dream pitted me, in what looked like a UFC ring, against the French savate practitioner in UFC 1 Gerard Gordeau. I managed to secure an Americana in a full mount position. I yanked the lock here and there to no avail in breaking his arm or at least secured his tap, seemed like his left arm is damn flexible like rubber. Then he managed to sit up and stand but with his back against me. Spontaneously I jumped on him and secured the Mata Leao or Rear Naked Choke. I pressed on it hard and able to make him tap out. Phew!! What an accomplishment to defeat a UFC competitor! LOL

The second dream involved me and my friend, someone whom I last met 6 years ago. We were doing friendly conversation in this what looked like college building with pretty girls around on their pink uniforms. And then this turned into a friendly sparring session. The fight started from stand up of course. We both got into a clinch, with me trying to do a takedown. At first I managed to get hold of his right leg with my arm and pulled it to bring him down, but it failed. Then I realized I must do the leg hook takedown. I did it and we both ended up on the ground. From the full mount position I slapped and hit him in the face, in a friendly manner of course. Then I managed to secure positional control with headlock and all. A few more friendly slaps then I got hold of his wrist and secured the Americana armlock headlock variation. I let go of his head from the loop and moved to finish the submission. But he was able to trash around and sit up with his back against me. Soon I let go of the armlock and spontaneously wrapped my arms into his neck: rear naked choke! Since this was a friendly sparring session, and he knew nothing of Jiu Jitsu and tapping, I said: “Don’t force it, if you can’t stand it, just tap”. I remembered how dangerous this choke is if your opponent doesn’t tap; he may get unconscious or even die. Then, with the choke not yet applied perfectly but due to pressure on his throat I guess, he tapped on my right arm. There is a sense of satisfaction and superiority once this fight ended.

Thanks for reading!