BJJ Poll: Does Your Current Job or Career Interfere with Your BJJ Training, Competition, or Your Academy’s Schedule?

by Caleb on May 7, 2011

This poll idea comes to us from Zach, one of the Mighty 600,000. Zach writes:

I am wondering if you could get a pole out there pertaining to how much a person’s job/career affects his or her training in BJJ. I know that working in the restaurant industry had a big affect on my training because of the late hours and odd schedule. It seems most schools have class every night rather than every morning as well.

After you’ve voted in the poll, check out a few related BJJ poll questions we’ve done in the past:

Anders May 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Full time work (even though my office is a block from the gym), 18 month old kid, extended family drama and a timetable at the gym which is a touch on the sparse side and reliance on public transport means that I want to train at least 3-4 times a week. But in reality it usually ends up being 0-1.

BjjMech May 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Agree with Anders, it is sometimes tough to get enough time on the mat with a modern life. I myself have two kids under 3, a wife and am a full time mechanical engineering student, trying to juggle all these things can sometimes be a bit tricky, luckily my gym has a very comprehensive timetable and this means I can usually hit up a couple of lunchtime classes through the week to keep me going!

Nathan May 9, 2011 at 3:00 am

It would be safe for me to say that no matter what my job, if it was outside the BJJ sphere it would interfere with the amount of time I would like to spend on the mats. If I wasn’t working I would be training, or studying, or teaching BJJ. That’s just the love I have for it.

Adding in family (myself with a wife and two children under 3) is a whole other story, really.

If I was single, and not well into my career it would be safe to say that I would be training as often as possible, and looking for a girl that does BJJ as well.

Dave May 9, 2011 at 10:29 am

I agree with Nathan, just about any job gets in the way of BJJ – gets in the way of most things for that matter. If anyone has any leads on a philanthropist looking to fund a lifetime of leisure and BJJ training, hook us up!

Jay May 9, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I’ve been training for over 8 years and I have seen many many many people come and go for these exact reasons. I tell them that the difference between a blue belt and a purple belt is that the purple belt finds a way to continue training when life’s obstacles pop up. (I’m still working on the difference between a purple and a brown!)

The advice that I tell everyone is try to just get onto the mat whenever you can. If you can only make it once a week for an hour or two, do it! If you can only get in once a month, do it! Eventually you will find time to train again, but in the mean time you have to try to stay involved. It is hard to come back after months or years of time off, so just get in if only to visit. Don’t be jealous of those high school and college kids either, because they will be in your shoes one day as well.

Anders May 11, 2011 at 3:35 am

I’m not paying monthly fees to not train. I pay monthly fees in the hope that this week I’ll be able to get to training and there won’t be issues with childcare, work won’t have issues that stop me from making it to a class and that family issues won’t mean that I have to miss class.

Liam Wandi - The Part Time Grappler May 12, 2011 at 2:36 am

I am a Part Time Grappler. It’s what I do. I would hate to do nothing but train, my life would be very monotnous and single-track! I work (8hrs a day), study (just finished Bachelor of Science degree with university), write a very busy blog and have a wife and a social life. I train 6-8 hours per week most weeks.

I don’t, however, watch TV or drink much (maybe once every 2 months or so). I look after my diet and completly devote myself to my wife when I’m with her or my studies when I’m doing them. If I have a heavy week with Uni assignments, I train less or not at all but I don’t mind. I love it and I know I’m lucky to have a job, to have the time and energy to study and lucky to have access to good and affordable jiu jitsu in my city. I try not to complain and remind myself that I’m very lucky :)

franck May 12, 2011 at 9:20 am

Good stuff Liam , I am myself not different from the other guys , job, kids, wife …priorities , I try to train 2 to 3 times a week , that 3rd training is in my backyard with a friend from the academy , on sunday morning…even though I have a limited amount of training , there will be situations off the mat where the mind can apply principles of jiujitsu , which in a sense could be a kind of training …remember jiujitsu is a way of life no matter how often we train …

Mats October 17, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hello guys! Just a couple of months i was in the same boat. The frustration of my job holding back my potential was in the back of my head ALL the time.. Fortunately I came across this

And i was in for a life changing journey