BJJ Poll: Online BJJ Training

by Caleb on February 5, 2011

This week we received the following poll suggestion from AJ:

Have you even done a poll on how many people participate in some sort of online BJJ training? I’d be interested to know. Thanks!
AJ

I presume AJ’s not referring to YouTube, so I added the word “paid” into the poll question. (If you are interested in the usage of YouTube and free online video sites for BJJ you might be interested in this poll.)

So what about you? Have you ever signed up for a service like Draculinobjjtraining.com, GracieUniversity.com, MGinAction.com? (I know I have missed some so definitely provide relevant links in the comment section for
this post!)

slideyfoot February 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

I voted no, although I am on Gracie University. However, as I’m assuming is the case for the vast majority of people on there, that’s because I wanted to see the content because the concept was controversial, not because I wanted to sign up as a student. You have to register to view the site properly (unless they’ve changed things since I last looked).

Hence why I find it extremely disingenuous when they make claims of having thousands of students from a hundred and something countries. I suspect the truth is that they have thousands of people who wanted to see the site, looked at it a couple of times, and haven’t been back since. The actual student figure is presumably far, far lower than the one they like to state.

Of course, I could be wrong on that, as I’m merely making an assumption. ;)

Anders February 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I would if it was in a format that I could more easily engage with. The stuff I’ve seen so far has been just repackaged books and videos, which I have decent collections of already.

If someone was to make some BJJ drilling software that utilised something like the Kinect? That would be worth paying for.

Lazy_Man's_Guide_to_Grappling February 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I signed up with Machado for a couple of months but didn’t use it like I thought I would. I ended up dropping it.

I was a student at a real gym the whole time and was just looking for an advantage.

On the plus side, I think if you have a dedicated friend to train with and live in the boonies these programs are excellent.

AJ February 5, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Nice Caleb! Thanks for getting this up so fast! I can’t wait to see how it pans out. I’ve seen several online training sites, but I just wasn’t sure if it was really something that people were interested in. Obviously it’s not the ideal way to learn, but people may be using it to supplement their training.

Graciejj2000 February 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I would agree with Slideyfoot above, I imagine the amount of dedicated practitioners that come back and continue to train is way less than the 42,000 registered accounts.

I have been training solely on Gracie University for the last 16 months now and just earned my blue belt. I went down to the Gracie Academy in Torrance and tested in person and scored a 95% on the test, and was awarded my blue belt by Rener in person. I also stayed and trained at the academy for a week in Torrance, and was pleasantly suprised to see that the classes were laid out exactly as they are laid out online, and the details they were teaching the exact same. So it made me happy to know that the experience that the students on Gracie University Online are getting is pretty much the same experience that the students at the Gracie Academy in Torrance are getting. If you want to see my youtube video on my journey to blue belt, here’s the link.

I have now started the Master Cycle portion (purple belt track curriculum) on Gracie University, and am very happy with the content, and the new rapid master drills, and focused sparring. I can’t say enough good about this. Gracie University has taken a lot of criticism, but I think for any of those folks that have actually purchased the curriculums, and given them a chance and gone through the content as prescribed, they would be pleasantly surprised to see that the system Rorion, Ryron, and Rener have created works great, and is a great way to study street self defense jiu-jitsu.

Liam Wandi - The Part Time Grappler February 7, 2011 at 3:33 am

I use Gracie University to add detail and depth to my regular weekly training and it’s awesome. I love the content and the context within which it’s presented. I’ve also heard good words about Draculino’s and MGInaction.

Frank February 11, 2011 at 7:47 am

I am a pretty big fan of Marcelo’s game, and I subscribe to his website. It’s excellent, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to work on the type of game that he plays. It’s a great supplement to a balanced breakfast of hands-on BJJ instruction.