BJJ Poll: Do You Cross Train in Another Physical Activity (Cardio, Strength) to Improve Your BJJ?

by Caleb on January 22, 2011

This one comes to us direct from Cohost Dan. Let us know your thoughts on the comment section for this page. Dan’s “very curious” about the results on this. I am not sure why this has him so spun up, but it is kind of interesting, so let us know what you think!

Dave January 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I train judo (because throwing people is awesome) and I lift using Rippetoe’s Starting Strength (so that I can avoid being weak for my size).

Lazy_Man's_Guide_to_Grappling January 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

I play other sports and work out but never to improve my grappling. I can never work out enough outside of my BJJ classes to see gains on the mat so I don’t put that kind of pressure on myself.

AHB January 23, 2011 at 7:22 am

I cross train for stamina and flexibility on the mat, and to keep old injuries in check so I can train progressively. But I have always cross trained so it’s really a continuation of a lifestyle to which I added BJJ.

Michael January 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I added Judo to my regimen to improve myself as an overall grappler, but I also cross train with kettlebells.

Jarred January 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I do a lot of Yoga as well as BJJ. While the yoga isn’t solely for the purposes of cross-training for BJJ it does provide several benefits (flexibility, strength). Don’t believe anyone that says that yoga can’t be strength building, just try some of the more difficult arm and leg balances.

Liam Wandi - The Part Time Grappler January 28, 2011 at 7:34 am

I do Yoga & pilates particularly to improve my jiu jitsu, but also jiu jitsu to improve my life and health.

Danny January 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I do judo and I’m in a MMA club where we do strikes and grappling different nights with different teaches. I’ve got a Concept 2 rowing machine at home where I work on my cardio. I do weights as well. Eveything is good to improve BJJ: Cardio, striking, stretching, weights and kettle bells or even Bugarian Bags. Even youtube!