BJJ Poll: If Your Job or Career Depended on It, Would You Quit Training BJJ?

by Caleb on October 23, 2010

This week’s Brazilian jiu-jitsu poll comes to us from Jonathan in Tennessee! A rather interesting question. I am guessing this idea has crossed most of our minds at one point or another!

Jiujitsu365 October 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Fortunately, I have a career with the type of hours that allow me to fit BJJ in pretty regularly. Further, I think it would take me too long to figure out how to earn a living through BJJ to justify giving up my career.

Franck October 24, 2010 at 12:25 am

I am not sure that the yes and no answers are in the right spot… Anyways… Bjj is really what helps me keep my sanity , whether I am working or not , so i will keep training until I die.

Ross Finlayson October 24, 2010 at 6:50 am

Franck’s right – the “Yes” and “No” answers don’t match the question, and may cause confusion. The first answer should be reworded:
- “No, I would put my BJJ before my job or career. It’s that important to me.”
And the second answer should be reworded:
- “Yes, I would quit BJJ before giving up my job or career.”
(And I’d reorder these answers, so that the “Yes” answer is first.)

*Great* poll idea, though. Perhaps there should also be a 4th possible answer: “I am retired, so this question doesn’t apply to me.” :-) :-)

Ross Finlayson October 24, 2010 at 6:51 am

BTW, as of right now (Sunday 7am) only 40 votes have been cast, so it’s not too late to change the wording of the questions.

little ol' me October 24, 2010 at 1:46 pm

the first choice is very poorly phrased. very. as in wrong.

i voted the third option. i don’t work so i treat bjj as my job. i want to get my bb (purple now) and do something, somewhere with that skill and knowledge.

SkinnyD October 25, 2010 at 3:01 am

Tough question, but like the above comments my response doesn’t quite fit into the mold. If my current job (which isn’t my dream job) prevented me from training, I’d look for another job that allowed me to train and THEN quit this job.

Franck October 25, 2010 at 10:38 am

I train only twice a week , I wish I could do more , but my spirit is in bjj 24 /7 I carry that through my work , I choke my colleagues for instance or Triangle my neighbor … ;-)
but this is kind tricky , because if BJJ become a job Am i going to like it as much ? I am French and overthere all the Instructors and Masters that I had in my life , had a full time job on the side , in other word teaching Judo , for example is not a job , in a business sense of the word.it is non profit… so maybe the right balance would be keeping your job and do or teach bjj as a vocation…one thing for sure, I know what I am going to occupy my retirement with…

Bjorn October 26, 2010 at 6:00 am

I voted option number 2… but I wish I could vote number 1. But if you can’t make a living then you can’t train BJJ… right?