The BJJ Gi Dryer Hanger

by Caleb on September 3, 2010

I don’t know exactly who this post is for. Probably not the larger audience of Brazilian jiu-jitsu family out there. But there is definitely a sub class of BJJ folks out there who are gi nerds and can talk all day about how many BJJ gis they own, or even gi care. So here goes.

I am one of the 60% of BJJ folks out there who personally insist on air drying my gis. I don’t know why exactly, but I prefer my gi to have a bit of a rough texture when I put it on. I think the idea of putting fabric softener on a gi is a little lame. The only time I can justify that is if you’ve gotten badly sunburned lately. I mean it’s not like you’re going to skip jiu-jitsu class just because you are really sunburned! (Not that adding a dryer sheet when you dry the gi will really make things more comfortable, but maybe psychologically you’ll feel better when you put it on.)

So if you put your gi in the dryer with no fabric softener sheet, it will be rough to the touch. If you air dry it, it’s even rougher, and I like that.

But there’s a risk in air drying the gi. When you air-dry your gi and it’s humid or slow to dry for whatever reason, it can sit there damp for longer than it should, allowing it to turn a little “ripe” if you know what I mean. We want to air dry the gi, but we don’t want it to take forever. While we can’t really control ambient humidity or temperature, there is something we can do: when the arms are allowed to hang loose as in this first photo, the air doesn’t circulate around it very well and places like the armpits of the gi will likely take longer to dry, possibly getting funky on their own.

BJJ gi

BJJ gi

So what do we do? From the same department that brought you the Gi Smell Pull Up, I now present to you the BJJ Gi Drying Hanger! We stretch the gi out so more surface area is exposed and more air flow can dry the gi faster.

But how do we accomplish such a feat? Surely there is either a) very advanced engineering at work or b) voodoo involved. It turns out that I did indeed rack my brain for a technological solution to the problem. I came up with the BJJ Gi Dryer Hanger, and I’m going to share with you how to make one so you can air dry your gi and minimize the drying time.

Instructions

1. Buy a cheap mop with the yellow sponge on the end from your local supermarket. When you are cleaning your kitchen floor sometime, trying to get a spot off the floor, apply too much pressure to the shaft of the mop causing the mop head to snap right off the shaft. Curse loudly and get so frustrated that you give up on cleaning and the spot on the floor likely persists till today.
  2. Go to the local hardware store and buy one big metal hook with a screwy part on the end. It should cost about 25 cents.
  3. Screw the hook into the center of the broken mop shaft.
  4. You’re done! Reflect on how smart you are, and give yourself a pat on the back.

There you have it! If you use the BJJ Gi Dryer Hanger instead of a normal clotheshanger you now can rest assured that your gi is air drying as quickly as possible. You’ll get that rough gi texture we all love while minimizing the chance that any ghost of gi funk returns.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu gi
BJJ gi

Meg September 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Pure genius! I love it :D

Stephanie September 3, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Win. Why has no one thought of this until now? lol

Morgz September 5, 2010 at 7:17 am

This *almost* ranks up there with Rener’s “Gracie Insider – the Last Secret” to fixing the string in your gi pants. Of course nothing will ever top that glorious video, but this little gem is in the same spirit. For those who haven’t seen Rener’s video, first slap yourself for missing it. The go here and watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGOM89VXH5U

But back to Caleb’s gi hanger. What a great idea! I’m a little suspect of his desire to chaff his opponents on such a stiff gi, but to each his own suppose. I could use an advantage like this, and plan to give it a try.

One thing I would suggest to add to the magnficance (is that a word?) would be to find a way to hang it outside, untouched by walls or other objects, so it gets that all around, even drying effect, and that sweet outdoor breezy smell.

Nice one Caleb!

Your pal, Morgz

Elyse September 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

I find my gi dries best when I leave it curled up in a ball in my gym bag with an old PB&J sandwich.

Second best would be hanging it over the back of the drivers seat in my car on a hot summer day.

burien top team September 13, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I laughed at first. But I’ve since seen the light. My contraption is a little different, but the whole gi dries a lot faster now. A 1,000 thanks.

Tony September 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I dry mine in the dryer because of the smell. Every time I air dry I get that mildewey smell in my lapel that never seems to go away. If you can offer a solution to this problem, I will definitely start air drying again.

ninjamurf September 16, 2010 at 3:30 pm

That video is pure genius Morgz!

PotownAl September 29, 2010 at 7:28 am

Nice…if you made two, you could use the other to clip your gi pants for faster drying.

@Morgz: I have something like this to hang my Gi’s on, but much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Coat-Hanger-with-Wheels-Black/dp/B002S6I0HE

I’m building my Gi Hanger tonight. Thanks!

Caleb September 30, 2010 at 7:27 am

Send us a photo when you’re done, Al!

Joao Gilberto February 20, 2011 at 3:19 pm

It is a great idea. I use it every time I roll. How to rid your GI of the mildew smell before you machine dry? You must ensure your GI is dry before you wash it.

Mr_Mike October 9, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’ll bet a wooden dowel rod would be cheaper and, less wasteful that a cheap, new mop. I’m off to the hardware store to get get the two parts and, will make two.

Lindsey Kelley September 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

Oh my gosh that is ingenious! I have been searching for “Gi Rack” and struggling to find what I’m looking for. My husband does Jiu Jitsu 6 or 7 days a week, so he has a plethora of Gi’s that I clean, hang and dry for him (left up to him, he’d smell like “dookie”. His team thanks me lol).
Anyway, I am totally going to go out and make some of these TODAY! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome idea. And if anyone out there knows a good place to find a Gi Rack (Or even a coat rack that could suffice) PLEASE LET ME KNOW hehe
Thank you!

Sincerely,
BJJ Wife <3

Steve October 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Another way to get rid of that smell in your GI collar. I have been using OdoBan in the washing machine for over 3 years. I’ve bought it at home depot, costco, sams. I wash my GI in cold water and hang dry. The dryer tends to shorten the life of my GIs.