Gracie Barra’s Romulo Barral at the 2010 BJJ World Championship defeating Gracie Humaita’s Xande Ribeiro.
Like other stellar objects in the stratosphere of Brazilian jiu-jitsu talent, Romulo Barral is one of the nicest, easiest-to-approach people you will find. Now located at Gracie Barra Encino, Barral began martial arts as a tae kwon do student as a kid. But when his friend showed him early UFC matches featuring names like Royce Gracie and Vitor Belfort, the self-described “hyperactive kid” began dedicating his energy towards learning the effective art of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
Today the Draculino student is one of the sharpest arrows in the quiver of global jiu-jitsu power Gracie Barra. Although he was severely injured while defending his medium heavyweight title at the 2010 BJJ Mundials against Tarsis Humphreys, his competition record tells the tale of his jiu-jitsu technique:
- 2010 Black belt medium heavyweight silver medalist, silver medalist in the absolute division
- 2009 Black belt medium heavyweight gold medalist, silver medalist in the absolute division
- 2008 (out due to shoulder injury)
- 2007 Black belt medium heavyweight gold medalist
- 2006 Black belt medium heavyweight bronze medalist
- 2005 Brown belt medium heavyweight gold medalist
Today on our humble Brazilian jiu-jitsu internet radio show, we will sit down and get to know Barral. We will learn more about how he became so dominant, an update on his injured knee, and tons more!