BJJ Poll: Are Internet BJJ Videos a Key Component of Your Training?

by Caleb on January 23, 2010

On our recent show with Keith Owen, we discussed how Brazilian jiu-jitsu students of today often check out BJJ technique videos on YouTube. This can be good because jiu-jitsu practitioners can be exposed to a range of moves that they might never encounter at their academy. On the other hand, there is the risk that students may become too enamored of fancy, advanced moves when they might be better served by focusing on the fundamentals. In any case, Owen said that internet videos of techniques can not be ignored and we agreed that perhaps one of the roles of a BJJ teacher today is helping to navigate their students through so much information that they will be exposed to one way or another.

How about you? Do you consider BJJ Videos on the internet a key component of your training?

(This poll idea came to us from Arnaud, who called in to our toll free number 877-247-4662 and gave us his suggestion. Thanks!)

slideyfoot January 24, 2010 at 4:45 am

Internet videos, no, not really (though I do think Indrek Reiland’s half guard instructional is excellent).

DVDs, however, are something I use all the time (hence the numerous reviews).

I wonder if Owen’s training relationship with Ari Bolden has affected his views on the topic at all? Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but Bolden is a well-known creator of BJJ internet videos.

Trey January 24, 2010 at 7:40 am

If I’m fiddling about on the PC, I’ll take a look for a video or two. Of late, I’ve checked out MGInAction.com quite a bit and have been watching Saulo Ribeiro DVDs. The most interesting thing I’ve seen lately is the Grapplearts instructionals that I’ve downloaded to an iTouch. It’s cool to have something like this to review when I’m eating lunch at work or waiting for an appointment to begin.

Michael January 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

It has been my experience, especially for the first few months of training, that its to easy to get over loaded by the endless videos on youtube, and in the end learn nothing. There is also no real quality control on there. With BJJ/MMA specific sites the quality is better, but the selection is slimmer or too stylized. What has sort of worked out among some of the guys I train with is a filtering of sorts. We all watch the videos, but when we see one we know would really fit well with a cretins guys game we pass it on to them via Facebook or email. I personally try to limit my almost daily, its hard to stay away, watching of online videos to just a few vids, or only one move, as to avoid an over load.

Nick January 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Hi, My name is Nick. Long time listener and first time sending up an email or responding. I am a brown belt located in Louisville, Ky. I am on of the main instructors at the gym here at Derby City Martial Arts. I still train under and with 3 other black belts (all of them were promoted to the rank by Renato Tavares).

I think different types of websites such as youtube, dailymotion, etc are great tools for exposing yourself and others to new techniques you have not seen before. I know that as an instructor and a student I am always trying to find new techniques and training methods to use with the students and myself. I teach most of our beginner classes here (whites, blues) and one thing that I do with these young students is focus on teaching them a solid foundation of basics but at the same time, expose them to the more “advanced” moves and techniques very early. This is partly because I have seen the effect is has on them and because if I don’t they will go out and find the advanced techniques from other methods. Because of the easily accessible bjj knowledge on the internet and the young jiujitsu players thirst for techniques I have students coming up to me on an almost daily basis asking me about particular moves, positions, submissions or whatever they find on the internet. I usually try to look at the move with them and practice it and let them know what I think of it and I encourage them to try and apply the technique while in class to see how functional it is to their particular bjj game. I encourage the students to be sponges and learn as much as possible from any source that they can (online videos, books, etc) but I do keep the door open so we can look at the techniques together. There are a lot of junk techniques lurking out there on the internet today as well, and I do not want the students to get wrapped up in the techniques that won’t work or aren’t fundamentally sound. One last thing I stress for the students (and myself) is when looking for new techniques, try and find videos of competitions that show this move being applied. If it can be applied in the competition field than it most likely (not always) a solid technique.

I think using the internet for online bjj videos can be a great tool in the jiujitsu players arsenal, but if you are a young jiujitsu player I think it is very important to have an open minded instructor who can help you steer clear of the junk and make sure that you are executing these moves the right way.

Laurence January 25, 2010 at 2:32 am

I think the pole is too cut and dry to get decent data from it. I do watch internet videos, I do learn from internet videos, they’re important but not ‘key’ to my training. There is a big difference between the two.

Ramone January 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

I find that I tend to watch short burst of video, on any given position. Maybe 2 or 3 mins. Then take the idea to class and ask a my instructor or a brown belt about how to fit it into my game.

I do take things I have learned over the past couple years, and see how black belts use the same basics in various videos on the web. But I have have lots of videos on my Favorite grapplers, Andre Galvao, Marcelo Garcia, etc etc. And I find it really hard to take it all in and then recall it during class. So I just take a small section, then try and get the details from an instructor, then slowly add it into the game plan.

I have found this to be very beneficial.

Liam Wandi January 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Reg the internet based techniques, my biggest influence is the Gracie University Combatives course. It’s a very convenient format.

Steven Stuller February 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

As a beginner, I’ve found online videos useful for refining certain techniques and brushing up on them. Especially after a class when I’m writing in my journal about what I learned that night. Pulling up a video on a particular technique can help refresh my memory on any problem areas I encountered. But they’re probably not key because there is no substitute for live.

Ann February 24, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I generally stick to either warm ups to increase stamina/flexibility in videos, and then techniques taught by Gracie lineage. Out Black Belt instructor brings lessons straight from his private sessions with Gracie Black Belts, so being a beginner I don’t muddy the water. Pretty direct source.