#188 Sponsorships in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

by Caleb on November 15, 2009

earn money in Brazilian jiu-jitsu
Hey how come Brazilian jiu-jitsu stars don’t have Gatorade knocking on their door yet?

A few weeks ago on our humble BJJ internet radio show, I read an email from one of the Mighty 600,000 asking whether he thought it was possible for his young son to receive sponsorship to offset the expense of all the tournaments the son competes in. About 4 days ago, a BJJ person out there tried to leave a comment on our site which read, “Hello my name is Andrew and I am looking for any kind of Sponser (sic) that is interested I am a blue belt Under [names redacted] in BJJ please anyone that is interested plese (sic) email me”. Needless to say, there is a wide range of curiousity in the Brazilian jiu-jitsu community about how to get others to pay for us to train BJJ. I mean, if these are lower ranking belts who are expressing this curiosity, just imagine how it must weigh on the minds of BJJ black belts!

Well as usual we are here for you, Family! This time around we bring you an interview with Tren Long, who is a purple belt in BJJ. Tren grew up in the competitive kayaking circuit and eventually made it to the highest ranks of global kayaking competition. Along the way, he learned how to approach businesses and organizations to provide financial support for his kayaking activities. Tren shares some strategies and tactics for getting sponsorships if you’re serious about it. Hey it’s not always about having the sharpest technique on the mat but having some business skills!

This episode also contains the normal jiu-jitsu talk between cohost Dan and I. We’ll review the most recent BJJ Poll, answer an email from you guys and a voicemail or two to boot.

[iTunes] Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (recommended)
[mp3] Download the show

Brad November 17, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Dan is right . . . That poll is confusing. Do you mean are performance enhancing substances prevalent in Jiu-Jitsu? Or do you mean assuming it is prevalent in Jiu-Jitsu, do you care? I think this confusion is why it’s about 50/50 – it depends on how you read it.

-Brad

Babs June 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Where can whe find the sponsors?

Bobby Castle June 27, 2011 at 12:07 am

Hi my names Bobby. I am looking for sponsorships for my brazilian jiu-jitsu competitions. I just turned 15 yrs old, I hold a green belt under Jared Espina & Bruno Ewald a branch down from Gracie Humaita.This is the highest ranking belt a kid can hold. I have been actively competing for 6 years in tournaments. I have over 46 1st place wins, plus 2 championship belt titles. In total I hold over 46 Gold, 9 Silver, and 8 Bronze medals. In the last two tournaments I competed in, the first tournament held on Kauai, I won Gold in both my GI & NO-GI divisions, so I took a chance and stepped into the adult division, and I won GOLD in the Mens Blue belt. The second, held in Honolulu- I won the Gold in my Teen Green belt gi division as well as the advanced teens NO-GI division, and once again decided to test my game. I entered into the mens divisions again winning another 2 Golds in Adult Blue Belts mens GI & NOGI. I am looking to compete all over the US and I am looking for company and/or people to sponsor me.

ryan dix July 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hi my name is Ryan am a yellow belt and train under Brazilian top team in Melbourne Florida. I was wondering where I could find sponsors. I don’t have the best record my last competition I got 1gi and 2no gi. I wish I could compete more but I don’t have the money to. I’d do anything to get a sponsor so I can compete more.

Brendan @ GiReviews.Net August 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hey Ryan, I noticed you’re a yellow belt. Don’t worry about getting sponsored right now, just train as much as you can before you have real-world responsibilities.

This podcast was, and continues to be, a source of GREAT information for me!

Shane oleary August 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hey I am currently an orange belt and win at every tournament I enter. I’m 15 and I would very much like a sponsorship because well I turn 16 in January of 2013 and I hope to compete all over the world in ibjjf events because I do not have to money to travel all over I barely can get enough to compete in local tournaments. I just want to know if anyone can help me maybe get sponsered or some tips. Thanks

Trey Boerman May 2, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Hi my name is Trey boerman, I just turned 15. I train in bjj,mma,tae kwondo,and wresling. Im strongest in Bjj ive been training for 3 years now and like it alot. I went to five turnements got first in all but my 2nd one. I am still a white belt. I train at (lightining kicks) and (grand rapids bjj). I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how to get some sponors, Thank you!!