BJJ Poll: Assuming the Quality Was Good, Would You Pay to Watch BJJ Competition Live Online?

by Caleb on October 10, 2009

So we recently had the opportunity to watch the 2009 ADCCs via an online broadcast, just as we did in 2007. For those of us who were not able to travel to Barcelona to watch the action live, it was a welcome substitute for being there in person, and certainly nicer than having to wait for the DVDs to be released.

Sure, there were people who, either because of user error or for some other technical reason, did not have the same experience they would if they were watching professional sports on their television on a Sunday afternoon. (I had no such issues and had a great time watching.) But assuming that the quality was acceptable, what do you think? Would you pay to watch important jiu-jitsu tournaments like the BJJ World Championship, Abu Dhabi Pro or the Pan-Ams on your computer?

In the comments section of this post, give your thoughts on what would make a good online BJJ broadcast, and what features of the broadcast would make you more likely to pay to watch a jiu-jitsu tournament online!

Isaac October 10, 2009 at 3:33 pm

If the price was ok. I wouldn’t spend more than 10$ to watch a Jiu Jitsu tournament online.

mike October 10, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I think that I would be wiling to pay what I would be asked to pay at the door as a spectator. If that were $5, or $35. I think it would be great to be able to see the Finals of the Worlds online.

Gera (Heada) October 10, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Yeah why not, the price for the past adcc event wasn’t bad to bad i misted.

Big D October 11, 2009 at 12:43 am

Caleb,
I think the ADCC proved that people would pay for the event. The ADCC production was quality and the talent was there. The event had two problems major flaws. The camera crew didn’t understand the event they were covering hence they were constantly cutting away from submission, etc. Finally the commentators were so unprofessional it was crazy.

Question… who were the commentators and how did they get that job?

Billy Jack October 11, 2009 at 9:37 am

Yes I would pay, but not the door price. Imagine if UFC charged door price to see on TV. That would kill it. I think the price for the last one was good. Can’t wait for the DVD.

Jim McCormick October 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I would pay, but I agree 100% with Big D with one other suggestion: some simple graphics to let us 1) know who is fighting, 2) how much time is remaining and 3) what the score is.

Pesadelo October 14, 2009 at 11:34 am

I would definitely do so. I know a LOT of folks who would as well, as every time I leave to compete in a major event, I get asked, “Is it going to be on TV?” Starting with online streams(which is where TV is going as well) would be a good way to spur growth of the sport and general knowledge about what we do.

Justin October 15, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I don’t think I would pay I love the sport don’t get me wring but it’s almost like paying for baseball or football i know we pay to watch the ufc pay per view events and boxing but adcc is just not that mainstream now events like ufc boxing and so forth we pay cause they are also televised normally and it’s on tv not everyone in the world has 32 inch. Computer monitors as well.. Just my 2 cents

Jon October 17, 2009 at 8:30 am

If done right, I wouldn’t mind paying. Although a free trial is definitely in order. :}