Olympics to Be Held in Rio, the Home of Jiu-Jitsu!

by Caleb on October 2, 2009

Rio 2016 jiu-jitsu

If you thought that when MTV’s The Wild Boys visited Gracie Humaita in Rio was an historic media opportunity for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, well the bar has been raised! The 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeirooooooooo!

As I mentioned last week, I don’t think there is a chance that Brazilian jiu-jitsu will be included in competition there. There are a number of reasons for that (perhaps good content for another post sometime soon). What is important is that the spotlight will be on Rio de Janeiro: its customs, culture, and traditions, which include Brazilian jiu-jitsu!!!

I am so excited! What do you guys think? Is this a big deal?

Bradey October 2, 2009 at 10:11 am

I am excited talk about a long time away though!!!!!!

Ross Finlayson October 2, 2009 at 11:17 am

Congratulations Rio! I was wrong – I had thought that Rio’s reputation for crime and corruption would rule it out, at least until after it hosted the soccer world cup. But Rio’s a going to be a great venue for a sports festival; I plan on going there to watch!

rowdy October 2, 2009 at 11:24 am

i thought it went like this…. indai->japan->brasil->usa for the spreading of what we call “jiu jitsu” (notice no one even says ‘brazilian’ very much anymore)

i digress……

i am glad it is going to rio. something good for brasil!!!

(and if freaking ping pong can be in the olympics…. goodness….. BJJ should at least get exhibition status!!)

Ross Finlayson October 2, 2009 at 11:30 am

Also, as I noted last week, I think that there’s a good chance of ’submission wrestling’ (i.e., no gi) being added to the Olympics someday, as a new category under the existing sport of wrestling. So, BJJ competitors might get a chance to compete for medals after all.

Alex Kim October 2, 2009 at 11:59 am

This is tremendous moment for Brazil not only are they hosting the Olympics, but its a chance for the country to show its amazing native martial art Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Theres going to be a good chance that a certain grappling style cough cough … Judo is going to complain about BJJ being similar. BJJ is not similar its unique entirely on its own and its a chance for people all around the world to get a first hand glimpse of BJJ and I bet you the Gracies are going to do everything they can to show the art on the world stage. All Im worried about is signing up to train again, get ready and work my ass off to go to Brazil to represent the U.S.A.!!!!

franck October 2, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations to Brazil
There are 2 kinds of wrestling in the Olympics , why not judo and jiujitsu ? or maybe if judo changes the rules allowing full ground work , then this would be a great opportunity for judo guys and jiujitsu to compete, on top of that there are more and more athletes who cross train today …and by 2016 who knows what’s going to happen .One sure thing though, Judo will always want to keep the leadership so if there a change it has to come from the judo federation. Full Ne Waza !!!!!