BJJ Poll: Do You Currently Train in a Combat Sport in Addition to BJJ?

by Caleb on April 4, 2009

Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners are rabid about their training, but there are some who make time to train in other combat sports too. Some of the most common are judo, muay-thai, mixed martial arts, etc. What about you?

Be sure to let us know in the comments below which other combat sports you train!

Andy April 5, 2009 at 6:00 am

Every time I think that I would love to train something else, I realize if I had any extra time to train I probably should dedicate it to jiu-jitsu.

another neijia April 5, 2009 at 8:57 pm

also cross-train judo, the “parent art”, of course… plus some non sportive martial arts.

radamez85 April 6, 2009 at 4:03 am

judo is very important, and thankfully my gym is full of wrestlers so ill start focusing on that after the mundials.

Anthony G April 6, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Hey Caleb! The FightWorks Podcast inspires me every second I listen to the show! I train in Filipino Martial Arts (Pekiti Tersia Kali) and some western boxing while trying to save enough energy to attend BJJ classes Tues, Thurs & Sat at David Veira JJ (Gracie Barra school) here in St. Pete, FL. Keep up the excellent work and I look forward to syncing my podcasts every sunday!

Anthony St. Pete., FL

Guillermo April 9, 2009 at 3:44 am

I used to do Muay Thai and TMA along with BJJ but nowadays if I have extra time I use it to train more bjj/sw. I noticed that when I was training TMA that I would try to do bjj stuff on those classes so I decided to concentrate only on BJJ cos it rocks!
Because of bjj I lost my interest to flashy kicks and pressure points and all that sh**.
Now 6-8 times of bjj/sw per week does not leave u much time for anything else :)

Swallow April 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

Besides BJJ I train Hapkido.

my instructor is a BJJ black belt under John Machado and a 4th degree black belt in Hapkido under GM Song, Ho-Jin.