BJJ Poll: Are You Satisfied with the Instruction You Receive in Your Jiu-Jitsu Class for Takedowns and Throws?

by Caleb on March 28, 2009

Modern Brazilian jiu-jitsu instruction currently focuses on ground fighting techniques. Most BJJ schools make sure to include instruction on ways to bring the fight to the ground, whether by takedown or judo-style throws. Some schools do a better job than others in this department however.

What about at your BJJ academy? Do you feel like you receive enough instruction on takedowns and throws? Chat about it in the comments section of this post!

aa March 28, 2009 at 10:06 am

judo instruction at our school sucks

franck March 28, 2009 at 11:17 am

I am a judo black belt .and now training in jiujitsu.
In order to do stand up it is mandatory to introduce the judo training method. wich is based on a very important amount of repetition, Uchikomi., and also light sparring “randori”. In jiujitsu we jump right into the fighting mode …. we don’t learn that much by doing so…
More and more champion discover the vertue of Judo though , and that’s good.
so in the future we might hope to have a complete merging of both.

rowdy March 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm

i took a semester of judo at a community college, i wrestled in 8th and 9th grade jr varsity (losing every match) and did japanese jiu jitsu for a few months before starting BJJ.

Without those influences I think my takedowns would suck. Instead they seem to be pretty good.

I am totally happy with what I am shown at my bjj academy, but it seems to be haphazzard in when it is taught and our practice of it. More consistancy would be nice.

James Wade March 28, 2009 at 11:48 pm

We, as an RGDA jiu jitsu school, have not focused enough on takedowns and throws, but our instructor, J.W. Wright has the foresight to bring in the White Dragon Judo school to teach standing sweeps and throws, and have a Division 1 wrestler to teach wrestling takedowns.
My opinion is, that if a competitor doesn’t know how he/she is going to get a BJJ competition match to the ground, that competitor has given up 2 points and is losing the match before the competition begins.

slideyfoot March 29, 2009 at 5:21 am

I would vote yes, but that’s because I don’t actually want more takedown instruction (given that I only very rarely compete), so in my case I’m happy that I don’t get too much.

The only time I’ve ever been out of training for more than a few weeks was when I got injured doing judo, so as a hobbyist rather than a competitor, takedowns are not something I enjoy. Not to mention I’m always reading on the internet how judo screws up your knees and is very injurious in general.

Obviously BJJ is a contact sport and injuries can happen, but at least with BJJ groundwork, I know I can tap, meaning its something I should be able to do well into my old age,. Bit difficult to tap mid-throw, or indeed mid-punch: part of the reason why I stopped doing striking arts a couple of years ago.

franck March 31, 2009 at 10:37 am

yup , in Judo you have to learn how to fall , and accept the fall during the training, even more around your thirties or older, falling is not that fun. Judo is good , but still it requires a lot of energy to throw someone , and since the throw is not the the main objective of the fight in bjj , then one must find a balance between judo and jiujitsu. I torn my Ac joint , and injured myself quite frequently doing stand up in Jiujitsu, but never in a judo traning.
wrestling has good stand up techniques too. a mix of both is pretty good …actually it sounds more like sambo.

Guillermo April 3, 2009 at 2:31 am

I totally agree with slideyfoot. I too voted Yes but we hardly ever do throws and stand up but I am satisfied with it atm. I have hurt my knees couple of times and I feel not comfortable doing stand up cos I fear that I can’t control the situation that well and hurt my knee, either from being thrown or doing some throw.
I know that my stand up sucks hard and I have to train it but atm I am satisfied to the amount we do standup.