Good News, Bad News Today

by Caleb on February 5, 2009

LCL ACL knee injury
This was taken a around January 19th or so. That’s the backside of my left leg.

I’ll start with today’s bad news. As you know, I injured my knee pretty badly recently. On Tuesday I had my MRI and this afternoon I had my follow up to go over the MRI with my surgeon, which I have been looking forward to anxiously.

The long and short of it is that the MRI showed that both my ACL and LCL are completely severed. Knowing that if all goes well with just ACL surgery one is normally out 6 months, I jokingly asked, “So you’re saying it could be up to six months before I am on the mats again?” The surgeon responded that it will likely be around a year and a half before I will be able to resume normal athletic activities. This is of course crushing news. Anyone who has fallen in love with Brazilian jiu-jitsu knows how important it becomes in one’s life, and how hard it is to stay away from the mats and your training buddies. In any case the final verdict on that timeline will come from another, more specialized surgeon I meet next week.

I normally hesitate to discuss personal matters very much with the Mighty 600,000 but insofar as injuries (some big, some small) are not too uncommon in Brazilian jiu-jitsu if you’ve been around long enough, sharing my story just once in a while may be helpful to some folks.

And on to the good news! Today I received an order for a FightWorks Podcast gi patch… from Australia! This is the second order from Australia. Whenever someone orders a patch it makes me feel like our humble Brazilian jiu-jitsu internet radio show is appreciated out there, so that definitely brightens my day. It’s not huge news that rocks the BJJ world, but hey with the news I got today I’ll take it! :-)

LCL ACL knee injury

Taken the same day as the above photo. Can you guess which is the bad knee?

patrick February 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Ah! Man, that’s tough to hear! I really feel bummed out cause I can relate (my knee’s messed up too).

Hope we both have speedy recoveries so we can get back on the mat ASAP! Take care Caleb!

Mike February 6, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Wow, looks like Chuck Liddell’s injury from last summer! Good luck in your recovery!

forlogos February 6, 2009 at 8:50 pm

ouchie!! A year and a half off the mats, that is a long time!

All the best Caleb, I hope it ‘s a speedy recovery!

omer February 6, 2009 at 11:06 pm

man, be strong…hard for us junkies to say, but health comes first. can you extend the deadline for the gi patch competition? I have something real good cooking…

mlambie February 7, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Caleb,

When I saw your injury pics I actually winced in sympathy. Nobody wants any of their friends or training partners forced off the mat, but such a devastating injury really drives that home.

I’m glad the gi patch purchase brightened your day a little, and I’ll wear it with pride at my club :)

Matt

Jiujitsu365 February 7, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I agree with Omer, health does come first. But hopefully, you can focus on other aspects of training that can exclude and protect your knee/leg.

rowdy February 8, 2009 at 8:27 am

I should be a purple belt by that time and then you’ll be in trouble!! =)

Guess we will just have to do stuff that is fun not related to bjj…

Adam Adshead February 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Really sorry to hear that Caleb, that’s bad news! Here’s to a quick and speedy recovery.

I’ve just ordered some new neoprene knee supports myself as some of the best grappling advice I’ve been given is ‘wear knee supports before you need them.’

I’ve luckily never had any knee injuries but have seen how debilitating they can be so am taking no chances!

All the best Caleb,

Adam Adshead

Dan The Butcher February 17, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Caleb sorry to hear the bad news, I am out myself with a dislocated Elbow, They told me bout 3-4 months.

I hope you heal up quick brother…

All the best,